Tuesday, April 29, 2008

der Igel (29.04.2008)


Did you know that hedgehogs live in the wild in Germany? Me either. They do. I saw one tonight on my way to pick up my laundry. I noticed a small shadow ambling across the driveway just as I was walking by. So when he stopped in front of the Mensa (cafeteria) I went over to get a closer look. From about two feet away, I thought he looked a lot like a hedgehog. (Not that I can tell the sex of a hedgehog at night; I'll continue to use the third person masculine singular pronoun just to be consistent.) But I had not idea they were German. As I bent over to get a good look he just stood there. I went to pick up my laundry and sure enough, he was still there when I came back two minutes later. I saw my neighbor's light on - Tino - and thought he might get a kick out of it. When I described what it was, he guessed that it might be an Igel (hedgehog). Of course he was gone when we got there, but Tino used the opportunity to take a smoke break. He said you usually see them in the Fall, but usually on the street... run over (übergefahren).

No comments: