Saturday, April 05, 2008

Altkönig IV

Cold. Wet. Chance of rain. Perfect day for a hike? I thought so. I went to the grocery store around noon and thought it'd be the perfect time to take a quick trip back up Altkönig - the "Berg" that sits up above Oberursel (it's about a 15-17 km round trip; 500 meter elevation gain). The weather was just bad enough to keep people off the trails. I only saw a scattering of bikers and walkers on the trail up Altkönig. As I was about to "summit", an Englishman happily told me there was no one else there. And I wouldn't see another person until I had already begun to head home. On top, I soaked in the view - a panoramic view of the Taunus forest; and it was just clear enough to see Krönberg - the next village over. I enjoyed an apple and half a liter of green tea that I had brewed just before I left. After about 100 minutes it was still warm and tasted great - even if it tasted a bit like my water bottle. As I headed down it finally started to rain. The temperature started to drop and it rained pretty good most of the way down - but a little precip never hurt anyone (with a good rain coat).




No comments: