Wednesday, October 24, 2007

der Fuchstanz

The Fox Dance. I was sitting in my room after classes this afternoon, when "cabin fever" got the best of me. I threw a couple Nalgene bottles, some chocolate, and my rain jacket into my backpack and headed out the door. Just up the street from the Hochschule, the street ends and the Taunus forest begins. I walked down the hill, hopped the U-bahn to a trailhead a couple stops up, and walked into the woods. I decided to try a slight variation on the route I had taken two weeks ago. Before I entered the woods, I saw a display that read "7 C" (not quite 45 degrees Farenheit). It was a bit brisk, but not bad; refreshing, really. Being mid-afternoon on a Wednesday, I had the trails mostly to myself. The trees were beautiful. I love the contrast of Autumn colors against dark green pines. And, I don't mind the overcast Autumn skies at all. As I gained elevation, the temperature slowly dropped.

Now, I had heard about the Fuchstanz, but the name didn't register when I saw it on the signpost. Two hours and about 7-8 km later, the forest opened on a crossroads between several trails and revealed a spot two other Americans, independently, had told me about. Though neither could tell me exactly how to get there, they each had told me about their affinity for hiking in the woods above Oberursel and about this restaurant that can only be reached by trail. (Apparently, the proprieters are allowed to take autos back there for logistical reasons, but the rest of us must go "zum Fuß.") The place is called "Fuchstanz," or "Fox Dance," auf Englisch. It's really two restaurants situated across the trail from eachother. One called, "Fuchstanz," and one called, "zum Fuchstanz." I chose the shorter moniker.

Sure enough, inside were several stuffed fox and fox pelts. Inside I also found my first cup of Glühwein this Autumn. Glühwein is a great cold weather drink. I think it's also called "hot mulled wine," in English. Red wine based, with fruit juice and spices, served hot. It really hits the spot on a cold day. The restaurant was empty except for the proprieters, two old German men, and an old (presumably) German dog. After my cup of Glühwein, I headed back out into the brisk air. I was ready to head back down hill, with a warm belly and a smile. It was significantly colder on top of the hill. [There's an elevation gain of 250-300 meters (close to 900 feet).] The air was cold enough to make your chin numb and your pee steam. (Sorry for that imagery, but the guys from northern climates know what I'm talking about.) With that, enjoy the photos! Good stuff.






No comments: