Monday, May 12, 2008

Weilburg (10.05.2008)

"What's in Weilburg?" I was asked at least three times. "Ein Schloß, natürlich (a castle, of course)," I said. Honestly, the first two times I was asked I wasn't exactly sure. But three separate people (my German teacher, a professor and Roland) had pointed out Weilburg as a nice place to visit. So, Saturday, I invited Ryan and Hilbert to come along as I indulged my curiosity and need to explore.

"Half the fun is getting there." Weilburg is perched on a rocky peninsula about 60 km north of Frankfurt at the head of the Weilertal ("Weil-valley") on the Lahn River. I checked into transportation and saw that not only was the bus faster than the train in this case (and still kostenlos - "cost-free" - with our student pass), but it would take us straight through the Taunus forest. Well, it wasn't "straight" - I wouldn't recommend this windy, hilly, jerky bus-ride if you get car sick. It made me smile when the bus pulled up with a bike trailer attached (the Germans are very active - everyone seems to head outdoors in nice weather and on holidays). Steep tree-covered hills. Small castles seated above tiny villages. Bright green pastures dotted with dandelions. It was a beautiful trip.

The first order of business was lunch. Being a holiday weekend - Pfingsten ("Pentecost") - almost everything was closed. In principle I find the fact that most all businesses in Germany are closed on Sundays and holidays fantastic. It makes people think ahead and I think facilitates people spending time with their families. But, when you're hungry and looking for lunch, it doesn't help. We found a Chinese buffet. Oh, well. I've been eating German food all year, so I didn't feel too bad about eating Chinese. And, it was Hilbert's first Chinese buffet. You could have transplanted this restaurant anywhere in the U.S. and it would not have been out of place - except for the German family celebrating a birthday with a Turkish belly-dancer.

So what is in Weilburg? Two sights in particular... A castle. Built in the 16th century and bordered on two sides by a beautiful "Schloßgarten". (The weather was perfect for a "garden stroll", too.) And, Weilburg is home to Germany's only "Ship Tunnel". (Which is kind of like being home to "Minnesota's Largest Ball of Twine".) The 195-meter tunnel was built in 1867 to allow ships to cut the peninsula and continue with their cargo down the Lahn River. A system of locks in the tunnel - operated by other tourists at the direction of a portly little old man - allow canoeists and kayakers a novel trip through the tunnel.

We took the train back through Limburg. This trip didn't lack for beautiful scenery, either. All-in-all, a nice Saturday road trip.








No comments: