Saturday, November 17, 2007

Falkenstein und Königstein

It was another beautiful, brisk day to hike in the Taunus forest. The temperature hovered just above freezing. The snow and ice that remained in the trees rained down around me for the six or eight kilometers I hiked west from Oberursel. The cool air and grey skies presented little traffic on the trails for a Saturday. I love the contrast between the red pine needles covering the trail and the snow . . . .


Castle Ruins at Falkenstein, a village just to the west of Oberursel; this castle was occupied from the 13th through the 18th centuries, when it was rubbled by the French . . . .


Castle ruins at Königstein, just to the west of Falkenstein; they were working on the castle ruins today, so, sadly, I wasn't allowed to wander inside . . . .


Sign of a good day . . . .


I've been saying that my best friend in Deutschland has been my dictionary, but I think, as my German gets better and I spend more time on the trails, that my Vasque Sundowners are taking a shot at the title . . . .

Peace to you.

No comments: